DeVos has no plans to rescind Common Core curriculum
President Donald Trump’s Education secretary has announced that she has no intention of revoking the Common Core state standards, saying in a statement that the standards were “very important” to the nation.
DeVos made the statement Tuesday in an interview with the Financial Times, saying that she was concerned about the impact of the standards on children’s educational opportunities.
The Common Core is a set of standards developed by the National Governors Association, an association of state education secretaries.
The standards were adopted in the 1990s and were intended to promote the “best practices” of education for students and families.
They are meant to be the cornerstone of all public education in the United States.
“We have the greatest children’s teachers in the world, and the best schools in the nation and we must ensure that our children have the best educational opportunities,” DeVos said.
“These standards were developed with input from states and schools, and they are very important to the United State.
They will continue to be developed as we continue to lead the world.”
The education secretary has previously indicated that she would like to see the standards re-implemented as the nation continues to transition to a new workforce.
Trump in September asked the Obama administration to review the standards as part of his push to rebuild American manufacturing.
“I think we need to take the Common C-4 to the states to see what they can do, to see if we can do it,” Trump told reporters.
“They need to be very proactive about that.
We need to make sure that we have the most innovative teachers that we can have, that we get the best teachers, that they can work with the most diverse group of teachers that they possibly can.”
In September, the president announced that he was putting off a decision on the standards for a year, saying he wanted to wait until the education secretary could get her feet wet in a new job.
“The president’s position is, he wants to do it right, and it’s time to start thinking about it,” DeVos told the Financial Press in September.
“He knows how important it is for our kids to have a good education, but he’s going to do his homework.
It’s time for him to start being a leader.”
In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Education Department defended its position, saying, “We are committed to the standards that were developed by our national Governors Association and are committed that all of our public schools, public charter schools, pre-K to grade 12, are prepared to meet the needs of our children.
The new standards have been the cornerstone for more than 50 years of excellence in education for all children.
We have the highest standards in the country, and we are determined to keep them strong.”